Looking at ourselves and the world through the lens of the 21st century.

Sunday, May 22, 2022

Saturday Mornings at the Farmer's Market

This week on the podcast we talked about morning routines. I don’t have much of a morning routine. My work week consists of the same thing every day. I have specific steps that I follow every morning that lead up to leaving for work. However, I don’t usually sleep in on Saturday after working all week. I wake up early, make a cup of coffee, work on a crossword puzzle while I drink my coffee, and then head to the farmer’s market.

Denton Community Market

Going to the farmer’s market is one of my favorite things to do on the weekend. Every March, the local markets start opening, and farmers and local artisans sell their goods at the market. This Saturday morning tradition started fifteen years ago when my hometown reopened its downtown farmer’s market around the courthouse. The market started with a few local farmers and then grew flourishing booths around the courthouse and lining the neighboring streets. Not only were fruits and vegetables sold, but local handmade goods as well. On Saturdays, when I visited my mom, we would head to the local farmer’s market.

I continued this tradition when I moved back to the Dallas area in 2019. One of my favorite local markets to visit on Saturday mornings is the Denton Community Market. You can find a little bit of everything at the market and over the years of continuous Saturday morning visits, I have made quite a few friends. The market is set in Denton’s Downtown Historic District and located at Denton’s Historic Park, which is the site of some of the oldest structures in the area. When I visit the market, I always like to visit all of my favorite vendors in the same order.

First, I visit my friend Katherine at Susie’s Snack Shop. Susie’s offers gourmet dog treats. I met the owner of this particular shop unusually. She lives out in the country, and her homestead is the home of feral domestic cats. To reduce the cat population, she trapped several feral kittens and asked for local fosters and adopters. I told her I was interested in adopting a kitten, however, I didn’t plan on taking two kittens! This month Chewy and Katniss turn two years old, and it was one of the best decisions I made.

Chewy and Katniss

Second, I like to visit Spread Happiness Nut Butters to get my keto nut butter fix. I mentioned this company in a previous blog when I talked about my favorite flavors. After I get my nut butter, I need to get my jam so I head to the next booth over which is Ten Berries and pick up a jar of their low sugar cherry or mimosa flavors.


Third, I will visit my friend Gabby at the Cookie Thief Cake Co. booth. I met Gabby while doing research for my Instagram and discovered that she was a former competitor on the Food Network show Chopped Sweets. After I buy something sweet, I pick up a coffee from the Combs’ Coffee booth and sit in the shade to enjoy my treat.

Gabby Sanchez at the Denton Pride Market in 2021

Lastly, I always visit my friend Melinda at her Texas Girl Treasures booth. Melinda has become one of my favorite jewelry artisans and I am always looking at her new designs. Melinda specializes in essential oil jewelry. She also has the best customer service of any local market artisan that I have met. If a piece breaks for any reason, she will fix it or replace it at a low cost. I enjoy her designs so much that I hesitate to buy jewelry from anyone else.

Other Market Vendors, I like to visit:


I don’t always buy something when I go to the local farmer’s market. To me, it is the experience and community of going and talking to the vendors as well as supporting a small business. 

I want to hear from my readers. What is your favorite morning routine? Do you like to go to the local market? Let’s continue the conversation on our Facebook group: MMC Chat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

5 Ways to Manifest Your Best Life

Hi there, and welcome back! Since we have been heavily focusing on goals and planning, I thought we should discuss manifesting. I love this ...