Looking at ourselves and the world through the lens of the 21st century.

Thursday, April 6, 2023

It's All About the Name

 

Have you ever felt like your computer (or your phone) was spying on you? Capturing bits of information from your in-person conversations and then presenting it to you via some curated advertisement that seems just a bit too coincidental? I don’t want to go off on a whole rampage about that particular invasion of privacy – that’s a whole topic for the podcast someday (I mean, we all know they do it, right?), but it just happened to me on Pinterest, and it gave me a topic for this blog I’m trying to write.


Our topic for this week is grimoires and why people might use them. I think we covered a lot of material in the podcast yesterday, and I really don’t know that I have a lot to add to that discussion except to say that it is what you make of it. To each, his own, so to speak. But as I was pondering what in the heck I could write about that might be of interest, I flipped through my emails and got a pin recommendation from Pinterest that surprised me because it was not related to the other pins in the email, and because, just last night, I was editing the podcast on this very topic – grimoires. Weird, right? 


You can see the pin here.


What intrigued me about this pin was the notion of a “Book of Mirrors”, which is quite interesting to me. It sort of reminds me of several of my projects and journals, but most particularly, it made me think of my One Little Word project because that is exactly what One Little Word is all about: insight, wisdom, awareness, self-growth, self-discovery, experience, inspiration, and growth. And while I normally equate my OLW project with a sort-of self-help psychology, this concept of a book of mirrors puts it squarely into the metaphysical realm. Because, if getting truly in touch with your inner self isn’t metaphysical, then I don’t know what is. And what is a collection of metaphysical studies kept in a book? A “Grimoire” or a “Book of Shadows.” 


I already mentioned in the podcast that I don’t really care for the name “Book of Shadows” because it conjures up a lot of negative connotations for me. As a fledgling metaphysicist (or would that be a metaphysician?) who happens to also be a Christian, I consider myself to be a “Light Worker” – someone dedicated to bringing light into this world and to help others. Keeping a “Book of Shadows” just doesn’t seem to align with that, does it? But a “Book of Mirrors” ...that’s something I could get behind, even if it’s more about helping myself than helping others.


Think about it…a light worker’s calling is to shed light on the world, to illuminate the dark places, and to reflect the light they see in others. Like a mirror. Shining a light on the darkness. Helping others see the beauty in themselves. Mirrors are powerful. Mirrors allow telescopes to see the stars that are invisible to the naked eye. Mirrors help lighthouses focus their light out to sea to guide ships passing in the night. Mirrors allow us to see ourselves clearly as we truly are. Sometimes we even use mirrors symbolically when we describe how we project our own feelings onto others (and that’s a bit of shadow work).


Yes, I think some of my projects like One Little Word are in essence a “Book of Mirrors” because as part of that project, I gain insight and wisdom about myself. I am inspired by the other participants who share their growth and experiences. And in many ways, I hope that sharing that project with others, which I do via my Instagram and Facebook profiles as well as in the One Little Word Facebook group, will help others, too. And in many ways, it’s what this blog and our Modern Musings podcast is all about, too. 


But then I’m still left with what to call my collection of recipes, herbs, crystals, affirmations, healing, and prayers. I don’t want to reference shadows. “Grimoire” doesn’t fit, either, because it’s far too “witchy” for my taste, and I feel more like a healer than a witch, per se. So as I mentioned in the podcast, using a grimoire always comes down to intention. And since my intention is not tied up in darkness or shadows, and grimoire doesn’t have the right vibe, I need another name for it. So when I think about my intentions and I think about my One Little Word, I have my answer – Light. As a lightworker, my grimoire, my grammarie, the book that holds all my knowledge and expertise, should be called my “Book of Light”. Plain and simple. And that feels right.


What about you? Do you have a grimoire or Book of Shadows? Do any of the names of these books have a certain vibe for you? Tell us about it in the comments below, or join us on our Facebook Group, MMC Chat.


No comments:

Post a Comment

5 Ways to Manifest Your Best Life

Hi there, and welcome back! Since we have been heavily focusing on goals and planning, I thought we should discuss manifesting. I love this ...