Looking at ourselves and the world through the lens of the 21st century.

Thursday, April 7, 2022

My Household Tending List

Hi there! It’s Cindy again. I hope you enjoyed our podcast yesterday about cleaning checklists. As I mentioned in our discussion, I think checklists are a great idea, and I have been using them to help me get through all my chores for a long time. Let’s face it…we’re busy! We have jobs, kids, spouses, boyfriends, hobbies, and so much stuff that we have to take care of at any given time that some of that stuff tends to fall through the cracks. That’s why I created a monthly checklist that I put in my day planner.


My current household checklist

I call this checklist my “tending list” because it goes along with my PowerSheets® tending list.  Whenever I check one, I automatically check the other. It’s a great form of accountability for me because I love filling in all the little squares (an OCD thing from childhood), and I feel so accomplished when I look at them and see that I’ve accomplished a lot. My list has far more than just cleaning tasks, as I’ve included some work, health, and family items on it as well. There are a few items I’d like to add to it, but it works for me so far – maybe next month.


My list started several years ago as a bujo (see bullet journal) entry, but I prefer having it in my Happy Planner with all my other tasks. My early planner lists were all drawn by hand onto the opening page of each month and I arranged everything to fit in the space available. It was also a very short list compared to the list I use today, so there’s nothing that says your list has to be as long as the one I use. If you make a list, make sure that it works with your goals and the items you want to track. 


My first household tending list - January 2021

By December it had evolved to this

In January, I started my new Happy Planner® and was surprised to see that the format of the opening page for each month had changed significantly and that my old checklist layout didn’t work anymore. So, I rearranged the list and again drew it by hand, but because it was no longer on a dot-grid paper, drawing it out took significantly longer than the old design and I abandoned that effort the very next month. Instead, I scanned the January list before I filled in all the text, and now I just run the planner page through my printer. I’ve used a similar technique for other pages in my Happy Planner (more on that in an upcoming episode!), and the printer handles the disc-punched pages just fine. I’d also like to note that I do use a “White Out” correction tape on a small section of the page, and since my printer is a laser printer, it prints over it just fine. I do not know how an inkjet printer will react to the whiteout, so your mileage may vary. I’ve linked both my printer and the correction tape below.

The blank file that I print onto my planner page


Add Amazon links to Happy Planner, my printer, favorite pen, and correction tape. Creating your checklist in a bullet journal or notebook can be fun if you like to do such things…I’m a list-maker at heart, and I love any excuse to make a list! But for those of you who aren’t, or you’d like a quick start on a list of your own, I’ve included a link to a blank version of my checklist below. I’ve offered a bundle that includes a JPEG, PDF, and PSD (Photoshop) version. If you have any questions about how I use it, please feel free to drop me a line using the email form on the right, leave a comment below, or even contact me through our Facebook page or MMC Chat group


Download the Checklist Bundle


Products I've mentioned in this article:


 


As an Amazon Affiliate, we earn from qualifying purchases.

No comments:

Post a Comment

5 Ways to Manifest Your Best Life

Hi there, and welcome back! Since we have been heavily focusing on goals and planning, I thought we should discuss manifesting. I love this ...