Looking at ourselves and the world through the lens of the 21st century.

Monday, July 3, 2023

Less is More -- What Does That Mean?

 

Less is more. Lots of people throw that phrase around these days, and it’s been attributed to the minimalist movement and other sources, but what does it really mean, and why should I incorporate it in my own life? That’s what I’ve been asking myself for several years now since I first heard the phrase in connection with my One Little Word project I do each year. It made sense when my word was “simplify” because I was literally trying to have less clutter and complications in my life, but I was also quite resistant to the idea of letting go of things I’d been holding onto and (let’s face it) hoarding for years. In fact, I could get downright prickly if anyone suggested I had “too much stuff” and should “get rid of most of it.” Having less of my stuff did not make me feel like I would have more. Like, more what?


In case you aren’t familiar with the term, Wiktionary defines “Less is More” as 


(paradox, oxymoron) That which is of smaller quantity could be of higher quality. That which is less complicated is often better understood and more appreciated than what is more complicated; brevity in communication is more effective than verbosity.


Okay…that’s about as clear as mud, right? That’s how I’ve felt about it…until recently. 


I’ve mentioned before that my life got turned upside down a few years ago, first after being diagnosed with both breast cancer and diabetes, then taking in my niece after my sister died, as well as moving my mother to Dallas and learning that she has dementia, the onset of COVID and all that entailed, and this past year, coming to terms with my husband’s cancer diagnosis. It’s been a lot. I’ve been in a constant state of overwhelm since 2017, and I haven’t coped with it very well at all. But with the help of an awesome counselor, my family, good friends, and One Little Word, I’ve slowly learned to let go of things that aren’t serving me. I’ve been able to pick and choose what is important and prioritize that. I’ve been able to allow myself to put aside, delegate, and relinquish a lot of activities, chores, and responsibilities that felt important, but really weren’t, and I’ve started to let go of the need to control those things. 


Part of that letting go was realizing that progress is better than perfection and that sometimes a little bit is just enough. Let’s face it, we aren’t going to die if the towels are folded the wrong way or my car doesn’t get washed for three months. As a total control freak, it’s very difficult for me to let go of the need to manage every aspect of our life that I can, but I’m learning that there are many things that I can let slide in the interest of manageability that don’t really affect my life one way or the other. 


As I look at the daunting tasks and piles of clutter that have consumed my time for the past few years (and still aren’t complete), I realized that “good enough” is still okay. I don’t have to find the perfect place to put my mother’s belongings, I just need to sort through them, give or throw away the items I don’t want to keep, and find someplace (any place) to put them that gets them out of my craft room, out of my garage, off the floor, and out of my way. I also don’t have to keep every treasured memento. Yes, I will keep anything scrapbookable, but if the jewelry isn’t my esthetic and I can’t use it for some other purpose, then why do I need to keep it? Maybe one of my nieces would like it. Even more importantly, all this sorting and storing doesn’t have to be done at once. Sorting is just one project. Storing them is another. They don’t have to happen at the same time. It’s still intimidating, but it’s doable.


As I find myself letting go of tasks and responsibilities that I’ve brought upon myself – the things I really didn’t want to do in the first place, I find that I actually have more time to work on the projects that are meaningful to me – the things that I’ve determined are truly important, like my family, spending time with my friends, creating art, and writing this blog. Those are the things that I really want to spend my time on. And as I declutter the craft room and the garage, I’m able to curate the supplies and mementos that I love, letting go of (or sharing, if you care to see it that way) the things that I don’t love as much. That feels good, too. It also gives me more room to work in my craft room (I shared pictures of that in my recent Goal Refresh blog), and eventually, I will have room to park my car in my garage – something that hasn’t happened in 4-5 years.


No, this new realization of less = more is not perfection, but it is progress, and that’s what really matters.

Do you have a “Less = More” story to share? Are you having difficulty letting go of heirlooms, clutter, duties, and responsibilities? Tell us about it in the comments below, or share it on the MMC Chat page. We’d love to hear about it! Maybe someone in the community has insights that help us out! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

5 Ways to Manifest Your Best Life

Hi there, and welcome back! Since we have been heavily focusing on goals and planning, I thought we should discuss manifesting. I love this ...