Looking at ourselves and the world through the lens of the 21st century.

Monday, October 17, 2022

Think Pink and Save a Life!

That's me on the right after our first 3-Day walk in 2011. Christen is squatting just below me.

If you’ve noticed a lot of pink lately, that’s because October is Breast Cancer Awareness month. In October, many different organizations and individuals take on the task of bringing awareness to this terrible disease that affects 1 in 8 women at some point in their lifetime.  Many people don’t realize it can also affect around 2200 men each year, with an average of 410 of them dying. And while we’ve been working hard to get the information out there and help people make good choices about their health, many are still reluctant to do monthly self-examinations or annual mammograms.


Cancer is scary; this I know. In 2016, I was diagnosed with breast cancer. As a result, I endured two surgeries to remove the tumors, 6 long weeks of daily radiation treatments, and more than 5 years of taking a daily hormone-based chemotherapy pill – a nonsteroidal aromatase inhibitor called Anastrazole, also known as Arimidex. The medication caused many side effects, including an intense worsening of my post-menopausal hot flashes, an acceleration in the development of arthritis in my joints, plus foggy brain and memory loss, among others. It wasn’t pleasant, and that was just the physical part of it.


The radiation machine. I did this 5 days a week for 6 weeks.

Super blurry, but this is me going into radiation.

It really came as no shock to me when I was diagnosed. I had spent the past 5 years fundraising for the Susan G. Komen Foundation through the 3-Day Walk for the Cure they sponsor each year. I knew many women with breast cancer, some who survived, and some who did not. I knew the statistics. I knew it was bound to happen to me or to someone I knew. What I didn’t know was what my mother never told me…that I had a higher than usual risk due to multiple family members who had breast and ovarian cancer. I was shocked and dismayed that this was never discussed…like it was some sort of dark secret we couldn’t talk about. It was strange because we often talked about diabetes and heart disease that ran through the family, so why not breast cancer? 


I decided that had to end. I took it upon myself to make it my mission to spread my story to anyone who would listen. I survived breast cancer, and others can, too, if we share our stories and we share our histories. We need to encourage our friends and family (male and female) to do those monthly self-checks andshare our family histories and cancer risks with our children and grandchildren. There is no reason to keep this disease a secret. It is not shameful, embarrassing, or improper to bring up at the dinner table, but it is life-threatening, and if you love your friends and family, you owe it to them to bring breast cancer out of the closet.


I was part of the opening ceremony of the 2017 3-Day


To that end, I encourage you to get your mammogram if you haven’t done so this year. It may be uncomfortable for some, but it is not painful, and it could save your life. And while you’re at it, ask your family about your medical history. Do the research; ask the questions. Then share it with the others. You might save their life, too.


In the spirit of sharing, I have linked my own story on a website called Caring Bridge that I used to update my friends and family on my breast cancer journey. I hope it will inspire you to get involved, learn your risks, and get those mammograms!


Breast cancer doesn’t just affect the person who has cancer. In previous essays and articles, I have often stated that I don’t know a single person who hasn’t been affected by it – whether it is themself, a loved one, or a friend or neighbor. It touches all of our lives. We need to share those stories.  Please share your breast cancer stories with us in the comments below, or on our Facebook Chat Group “MMC Chat.” Sharing is caring!


Here are some more breast cancer links:


My Cancer Story at CaringBridge.com

https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/cindymurray2016


My SGK 3-Day “Walkers, Texas Rangers” team Facebook Page:  

https://www.facebook.com/walkerstxrangers


My Think Pink Crop for the Cure Event:

https://www.craftyneighbor.com/retreats/thinkpink.html


The National Breast Cancer Foundation:

https://www.nationalbreastcancer.org


The Susan G. Komen 3-Day:

https://www.the3day.org


The Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure:

https://www.komen.org/how-to-help/attend-events/race-for-the-cure/


Race for the Cure:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/3193217314090307


MammaJamma Ride:

https://www.mammajammaride.org



No comments:

Post a Comment

5 Ways to Manifest Your Best Life

Hi there, and welcome back! Since we have been heavily focusing on goals and planning, I thought we should discuss manifesting. I love this ...