Looking at ourselves and the world through the lens of the 21st century.

Monday, August 1, 2022

Holistic Approaches to Managing Migraines


This week on the podcast, we are talking about migraines and what a migraine is. There are a lot of misconceptions about migraines, especially from people who have never suffered migraines regarding chronic ones like I have. There is also a considerable difference between migraines and regular headaches. Symptoms of a migraine can include nausea, vomiting, dizziness, and extreme sensitivity to lights and sounds.

I have suffered from migraines most of my life. I’ve been told by friends and family to “just take some medicine and get over it” or that “a migraine is not an excuse to call into work.” When I have a high-intensity migraine, I can’t get out of bed. Occasionally, that is due to severe nausea and dizziness, but often it is because the pain in my head is so intense that I can’t see, move, or function because nothing can get rid of the pain. Believe me, I have tried it all. There have been many times in my life when my migraines were so intense that I ended up in the hospital. By the time I was in my mid-twenties, I was taking eight large over-the-counter pills to relieve the migraines. I decided I needed to start seeing a neurologist. My neurologist did a nerve test on me and determined that every headache I suffered was a migraine.


For years, I was poked, prodded, and experimented on to come up with the right treatment plan, and I can tell you that there is no perfect plan, especially since I prefer a holistic approach over taking medication. What is a holistic approach? Holistic medicine is a “form of healing that considers the whole person -- body, mind, spirit, and emotions -- in the quest for optimal health and wellness” according to Dr, Melina Ratini, WebMD medical reviewer. In my experience, holistic approaches do not alleviate migraines immediately. If you are looking for that, you will have to take medication that may or may not work (medication doesn’t really work on me anymore). Holistic approaches focus more on preventative measures that over time ease the intensity of migraines. 


Things I do to manage my migraines:

  • I know my triggers. Migraines are peculiar There are many triggers out there that cause people to have migraines. When you are first getting treatment, one of the most important things you can do is understand your triggers and categorize your migraines. One way you can do this is to keep a migraine journal and a migraine calendar. My doctor had me categorize my migraines by intensity on a scale of one to five on a calendar and keep a journal about how I felt and what I was doing at the time of my attack. I took my calendar a step further and assigned a number to the types of migraines that I had since every headache I suffered was a migraine. Nowadays there are apps available to keep track of your migraines, but I prefer pen and paper:

    • Category 1: Just a slight hurt that went away without me having to take any medication. Since I wanted to limit my medication after years of taking too much medication, I tracked the time it took to eliminate the pain.

    • Category 2: Still a slight, dull pain that lasted for maybe a day and was gone by the next morning.

    • Category 3: This was a stronger pain that lasted more than a day and came with other symptoms such as light sensitivity. In the early days, if this migraine went on too long, I felt like I had to take medication, but now, I don’t take medication for this category.

    • Category 4: I call this category a “puke migraine” which is a step worse than a 3 because nausea, dizziness, and vomiting are usually involved, accompanied by an aura. Usually, the only relief I have from this type of migraine (aside from vomiting) is taking medication accompanied by laying in a cold, dark room with a rag over my eyes. Also, a cold-water bottle behind my head helps as well.

    • Category 5: I call this the “screaming migraine” which encompasses my whole body. I usually can’t move or get out of bed and the end usually results in me having to go to the hospital to end the pain. I call it a screaming migraine because the pain is so intense, that all I can do is scream in pain. Sometimes medication and rest will relieve this migraine, but not always. These types of migraines will often last for days as well.

  • Manage my mental health. In previous blogs, I have talked about therapy and counseling, and how it has helped me since my divorce. One of the major causes of migraines is stress. One way to balance stress in your life is to take care of your mental health. It all goes back to self-care, which is something we talk a lot about on the podcast.

  • Head massages. Years ago, when my migraines were out of control, I ended up in the hospital more times than I could count. One of the doctors I met on my many adventures to control my migraines showed me how to massage my head to break up the tension. Head massages also promote stress relief and hair growth. A quick fix is to crack my knuckles on my skull where it hurts the worst, and it usually eases my ache.

  • Aromatherapy. This is another great relief for migraines unless one of your migraine triggers are certain smells. Aromatherapy is especially beneficial when you are getting a head massage. One of the major essential oils that benefit migraines is lavender oil, and you can use it in other ways besides massaging it on your head, such as spraying lavender oil on your pillow or wearing essential oil jewelry. My favorite essential oil jewelry maker is Texas Girl Treasures. I wear an essential oil citrine necklace made by her for positive vibes and migraine relief. All I do is put a drop of lavender oil on the necklace.

  • Stimulating Pressure Points. Another way to manage migraines and relieve stress is the stimulation of pressure points in your body. Pressure points that can relieve migraines are located on your ears, hands, feet, forehead, neck, and shoulders. A favorite pressure point of mine that I can activate myself (you need strong hands to use most of these pressure points properly) is called “Union Valley” which is located at the base of your thumb and forefingers. When my head is hurting, I can squeeze this pressure point and find immediate relief.

  • Drinking Water. Water is life, and a nutritionist once told me that a lot of the body’s problems can be attributed to dehydration. Aside from migraine relief, other benefits of drinking water include constipation relief, joint relief, increase in energy levels, and aiding in weight loss. 

  • Keeping a regular schedule. We talk about planning and scheduling on our podcast. Keeping a regular schedule is another part of stress relief and self-care. Having a routine helps relieve my stress, especially if I eat and sleep on a regular schedule. Sleep changes are a contributing factor for migraines, and there are many benefits to keeping a regular sleep schedule. Science suggests that adults should get seven to nine hours a night, which is about right for me. If I get more than nine hours, I am tired. If I get less than seven hours, I am tired. 

  • Extremely dark sunglasses. A specific trigger that I have is light sensitivity. When I leave the house during the day, I must wear extremely dark sunglasses. Another type of sunglasses that migraine sufferers can use is polarized glasses made specifically for migraine sufferers.


Are holistic approaches for everyone? No. Most holistic approaches are not FDA-approved, and they are what you make of them. They are not a quick and easy approach, but something that you develop over time and effort to better yourself physically and spiritually. They also require a great deal of openness and belief. 


I want to hear from our readers. Do you suffer from migraines? Do you prefer a holistic approach to medication? Please, comment below on any tips and tricks you have for migraine relief.


No comments:

Post a Comment

5 Ways to Manifest Your Best Life

Hi there, and welcome back! Since we have been heavily focusing on goals and planning, I thought we should discuss manifesting. I love this ...