Looking at ourselves and the world through the lens of the 21st century.

Saturday, July 16, 2022

Exploring the Dallas Underground

If I haven’t mentioned it before, I love to travel. I don’t care when. I don’t care where. I don’t even care how. I can go anywhere, any time, just say the word and I’ll pack a bag and be ready to head out the door. And if I can’t go somewhere, then I want to read about it or watch a movie about it. I’m very curious about the world around me, the history of places, and the cultures and peoples that populate this Earth. That’s just one of the many reasons I became a travel agent. I love to explore. Sadly, my budget doesn’t let me globe-trot, and I’m lucky if I can get in a cruise or two on occasion, so many of my explorations have involved scouting the county I live in, or thereabouts. 


This week, on the podcast, we talked about day trips, and I mentioned several of my favorites. Living in a large metropolitan area like the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex, there is no end to the number of places to explore. Some are worth visiting again and again. And some are so well hidden you might have to go underground to find them. That’s the case with something we call “The Dallas Underground”, a little-known network of pedestrian tunnels and sky bridges that connect significant parts of downtown Dallas.


Built in the 1970s, the Dallas Pedestrian Network was designed as a way to move people in and out of downtown efficiently. It was envisioned as a sort of underground mall that would help revitalize the downtown area and provide shelter to pedestrians from the 100° summertime heat. It was a great idea but poorly implemented. Most people didn’t even know it existed, and many of the street-level businesses fought against it because it drew business away from their establishments. And since each section of the tunnels was managed by the individual building owners, several sections have been completely closed off. Business closures due to COVID didn’t help, either. 


Enthusiasts have tried to revive interest in the area over the years, but with little effect. Michael Sitarzewski actually mapped the tunnels, and later formed the Facebook group Dallas Underground Culture, which lead tours through the tunnels. I’m hoping the group will become more active again and resume the tours now that COVID restrictions have lightened up. I love the whole idea of the underground, and I’d love to do whatever we can to preserve and redevelop this treasure.


I managed to explore the area myself back in 2010 when Christen and our friend Stephanie joined me for the day. I don’t know why, but we didn’t shoot any video, and we only took a few photos. I’ve compiled a few of them into a little slideshow, which I’ve linked below. I’ve also included a few videos taken by other day trippers who’ve explored different parts of the tunnels. 


We visited more than just the tunnels on our downtown exploration. We rode the DART train to Union Station, and it’s just a short walk to The Old Red Courthouse and Dealy Plaza, where JFK was assassinated, so we started there. Just east of the courthouse is the JFK memorial, and two blocks from that is the massive Bank of America tower, where we found our way to the underground.



Our trek took a few detours along the way. One large section was closed, so we detoured above ground to head north to the Fountain Place building before going back into the tunnels to head south to Thanksgiving Square. Much of the eastern half of the network is actually a series of sky bridges and walkways between the buildings. We made it all the way to Plaza of the Americas (with a short detour over to the Crow Museum of Asian Art) before we caught the train back to Union Station and then home.


Our trip took us most of the day (we took our time), but we still didn’t see everything there was to see. The downtown area is brimming with parks, art galleries, museums, historical markers, and landmarks of all kinds, and more are being added all the time. Just north of the Trammel Crow building is Klyde Warren Park which is built over the top of the Woodall Rodgers freeway tunnel. If you pop out of the tunnels around Elm and Ervay, you can get a peek at the giant eyeball sculpture. Pegasus Plaza is at Main and Akard, and if you walk three blocks south on Akard, you will find AT&T’s Discovery District, an open-air market with art installations and (often) live music.


I’m anxious to make another day of the Dallas Underground, but with so many sections closed, I think I’ll have to wait until the fall when the weather is not so severe. I’m just hoping I can interest a friend or two into exploring with me again, and maybe, just maybe, we can get on one of the tours. I’m sure they know so much more about it than I could ever learn on my own!


If you aren’t in a large metro area, don’t be discouraged! There is still a lot to explore no matter where you are. Look up the history of your hometown. Visit the historical spots there. Take a trip to the cemetery and learn about the history of the graves and the family names there. Drive to a neighboring town and do the same. There’s always something new to see and something more to do if you just look around. Opportunities for day trips are everywhere. It’s time to get out and explore!


Have you been exploring your neighborhood? What are your favorite day trips and why? Comment below and tell us all about it on the MMC Chat group!


For more info about the Dallas Underground Pedestrian Network:


No comments:

Post a Comment

5 Ways to Manifest Your Best Life

Hi there, and welcome back! Since we have been heavily focusing on goals and planning, I thought we should discuss manifesting. I love this ...